BENEFITS & WHO IS THIS FOR?
The Bamboo Camp is perfect for anyone who wants to gain skills and hands-on experience working with bamboo, one of the most eco-friendly building material and also for those who would like to exploring various aspects of sustainable living and witness team spirit through team work.
An essential aspect of building a more sustainable world is the quality of the consciousness we bring to it. Our outer environment – whether built or natural – reflects the state of our inner awareness. We work towards the team building activities and other such practices, as we understand – unity wins.
The Bamboo Camp will take place over 5 days, covering full day intensive sessions offered daily from 9 AM to 5 PM. The sessions are offered according to two areas of focus, as follows:
1. NATURAL BUILDING WITH BAMBOO
As a core component of the Camp, participants will gain the basic knowledge, skills and practice needed for bamboo construction, as well as technologies that use bamboo in combination with other local materials. Sessions include:
- Theory and practice of working with bamboo
- Bamboo carpentry: bending, cutting, joineries, split and weaving bamboo
- Bamboo construction
After learning basic skills in bamboo technology, participants will help in making a bamboo structure and learn the know-how of building construction.
2. ABOUT KODAIKANAL
Kodaikanal is a hill town in the southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It’s set in an area of granite cliffs, forested valleys, lakes, waterfalls and grassy hills. At 2,000 meters above sea level, the town centers around man-made, star-shaped Kodaikanal Lake, bordered by evergreen forest. Rowing boats can be hired, and hikers and cyclists follow the 5km Lake Road path around the shore.
Elevation: 2,133 m
Weather: 17°C, Wind W at 8 km/h, 70% Humidity
Avg. summer temperature: 19.8 °C (67.6 °F)
Avg. winter temperature: 8.3 °C (46.9 °F)
Sex ratio: M 51% F 49%
Things to bring for the workshop,
- Loose and comfortable clothes
- Air Mask and sanitizer
- A Cap, sunscreen lotion
- Eye Protective Goggles (optional)
- A notebook and a Pen
- Bed Sheet
- Toiletries and toilet paper
- Torch light / power bank
- Warm clothes (as nights are cold here)
- Basic medicines if you’re following any specific medications
- Your own Tent (optional)
- Raincoat or Umbrella
- Mosquito Repellent
Programme Rate: 17500 Rs. * Includes:
- Bamboo workshop with mentor
- Accommodation (tent) for 5 nights in Kodaikanal
- All food 5 days (3 vegetarian meals a day)
- Guides and escorts for trekking and camping
- Campfire and music in evenings
- Certificate of attendance
- Terms: 50% deposit of workshop fee required on booking with balance payable prior to commencement of workshop.
- Cancellation: Up to 2 weeks before workshop commencement we retain 25% of total fee due.
- From 2 days to workshop commencement we retain the 50% total fee.
- On the onset of the camp or after that no refunds. (*T&C apply)
- Notes: All booking communication is completed in writing by email.
- Auroville has a strict no alcohol or drugs policy. Anyone disregarding these rules will be requested to leave the community immediately and no refunds will apply.
- Facilities: Basic facilities and needs will be provided, as mentioned above.
- Accommodations: basic shared Tents (twin or triple sharing)
- Transportation: within Kodaikanal transport will be provided