The CSEB Theory online course covers the theory of Compressed Stabilised Earth Blocks (CSEB), including basics on soil characteristics, design, calculation, block production, quality control, etc.
This is a self-paced online training course. Course materials will be presented to enrolled students through AVEI’s online learning platform. Students will need to log in to this system and will then be able to access videos and reading materials, engaging with the material through quizzes, assignments, and instructor-moderated discussion forums. Individual feedback sessions will be offered to students as they progress through the course to ensure full understanding. Students may start the course material on any date during the enrolment period and complete the course at their own speed, but must finish all lectures and assignments within the maximum duration of 2 weeks in order to receive a certificate.
Subjects covered will include:
– Introduction to the Auroville Earth Institute
– The tradition and modernity of earthen architecture
– Sustainability and environmental friendliness – Resource management
– Basic data on CSEB
– Raw material and soil identification
– Identification of four typical soils with sensitive analysis & density check-up: Video
– Soil stabilisation: Stabilisers, Principles
– Soil stabilisation: Calculation and exercises
– Products & equipment – Blockyard organisation & Production line
– Quality control principles – Improving and stabilising soils
– Mortar quality – Block-laying and basic design guidelines
– Cost analysis & Economic feasibility study
– Embodied energy and life cycle analysis
– Case study: Sharanam Development Centre at Pondicherry
All skill levels are welcome (e.g. engineers, architects, technicians, supervisors, masons, students and laymen).
Self-paced, over a maximum of 2 weeks